Swindon 3 Devon and Cornwall 0 as Swindon ladies over run the Devon and Cornish ladies.


Results from the weekends games in the Bristol Soccer World Cup.

Both Swindon Spitfires and Supermarine Ladies away in Cornwall for the next round.

Swindon Spitfires 4   Falmouth 1 (Match report to follow)

Laura Ball,                          Sasha Sparkes

Vicky Wilkes,

Emma Blackwell

Nat Haigh©calyx_Pictures_Spitfires_v_Falmouth_1234

Next round: Launceston Ladies Away.

Gallery below:

Callington Town 0    Swindon Supermarine Ladies 4

Jodie Reynolds

Claire Moreton

Sally Butterfield

Beth Thompson

Playing Cornish Club Dobwalls away in the next round.

Swindon Town Ladies also won in the FAW Cup 2nd round Exeter City Ladies  2 Swindon Town Ladies 3.

Swindon Spitfires are through to the second round of the Bristol Soccerworld Cup after disposing of the 2010 winners Falmouth Town 4-1. After a tentative opening period Spitfires began to open the play up and took the game to the visitors, but without being able to press home their advantage.

©calyx_Pictures_Spitfires_v_Falmouth_1204It was somewhat against the run of play that Falmouth took the lead in the 23rd minute, Katy Barker breaking down the right before pulling the ba©calyx_Pictures_Spitfires_v_Falmouth_0057ll back to the edge of the area for Sasha Sparkes to slot past a full-stretch Tamsin Kellett who, despite getting her finger tips to it, couldn’t quite push it round the post.

Spitfires responded by switching Cara Costello to the right wing, and she was able to deliver some great balls into the box but they still eluded the finishing touch with Vicky Wilkes coming closest. Debbie Rose fired just wide, and Costello could only fire straight at keeper Claire Churcher when she found herself clean through in the 43rd minute.©calyx_Pictures_Spitfires_v_Falmouth_1175

But in the final minute of the half Spitfires had a let-off at the other end when Helena Calfe saw her shot come back off the post.

Spitfires have a good second-half record of late, and so it proved against Falmouth too. Five minutes after the re-start Emma Skinner released Nat Haigh down the right with the resultant cross being met on the run by Laura Ball who lifted it over Churcher for the equaliser.

©calyx_Pictures_Spitfires_v_Falmouth_1103Falmouth pushed hard to regain the advantage and had their best spell of the game with the league’s top scorer Barker keeping Jess Dent fully occupied, but Spitfires defence held firm.

From the mid-point of second half it was Spitfires who were the most likely to go on and win the game. Rose fired wide from a great pull back by Costello, Sammie Smith went close with a couple of strikes, and Wilkes almost took the cross bar off with a thunderous volley on 66 minutes.©calyx_Pictures_Spitfires_v_Falmouth_1184

Wilkes could easily have come away from the game with a hat-trick, but as it was bagged her only goal in the 80th minute after stabbing home Haigh’s cross to finally give Spitfires the lead.©calyx_Pictures_Spitfires_v_Falmouth_1211

That goal was the final straw for Falmouth as Spitfires rattled in two further goals to make the final score a more accurate reflection of the game. Firstly Emma Blackwell met Costello’s cross at the far post in the 85th minute, and in the 90th minute Haigh completed the scoring after firing home Skinner’s pull-back.

Spi©calyx_Pictures_Spitfires_v_Falmouth_1058tfires reward for the win is a second round tie at Launceston Ladies, to be played on Sunday 3rd February.

Meantime, Spitfires return to league action next Sunday, 13th January, when Nailsea United are the visitors for a 2pm kick off at Highworth Town FC.


, , , , , , , , , ,